Plan simple meals before the move to use fewer appliances
Four Weeks Before the Move…
- Call Greater East Texas Moving and schedule your move.
- Tour your house and decide which items should be discarded or donated to charity. Consider a garage sale.
- Check homeowner’s insurance policies to see if moving is covered.
- Be sure your new home is protected by transferring fire, theft and other personal-property insurance.
- Ask for a representative to walk through your home and assess your packing and moving needs.
Three Weeks Before the Move…
- Plan to use up most food items before the move.
- Arrange to have major appliances serviced before you move them.
- Movers can’t take aerosols, flammables, corrosives or ammunition. It’s best to use them up or give them away before you move. Propane tanks must be emptied as well as lawnmower fuel tanks.
Two Weeks Before the Move…
- Notify the Post Office and get change of address forms. Notify magazines to which you subscribe. Note: You must fill out a change-of-address form for each person receiving mail at your address.
- Close or transfer all charge accounts.
- Arrange to discontinue utilities and delivery services.
- Take the time to fill out the “Welcome To Your New Home” info sheet for the new owners.
- Protect your shipment from damage by disposing of cleaning fluids, acids, caustic drain cleaners, etc.
One Week Before the Move…
- Transfer bank accounts, and ask your local credit bureau to transfer your records to your new city if needed..
- Arrange for cable TV disconnection.
- Arrange connection of utilities in new home. Draw up a floor plan of your new home, and indicate placement of furnishings. It makes moving in twice as easy.
- Arrange to have cash, certified check or money order ready to pay driver before goods are unloaded (unless your employer is paying the charges or you’ve arranged to pay by credit card).
- Set aside medications, keys, games, snacks, and other items you’ll take in your car.
- Gather ALL important papers for the trip.
- Your local phone company business office can help you with phone service for your new home, as well as disconnecting service at your present home.
- Drain water from all garden hoses.
- Drain gasoline from lawn mower.
- Anything G.E.T. Moving is packing should be left in place. It’s easier and safer; for example, to pack glassware right from the cabinet it’s kept in.
- MAKE SURE TO LABEL ALL BOXES ON THE SIDE. THE TOP CAN NOT BE READ AS THE BOXES GET STACKED. This will save you time and confusion as the movers unload your belongings.
The Day Before the Move…
- Disassemble all beds, washers, dryers and other appliances unless we are doing it for you.
- Put cleaning supplies, toiletries and a coffee pot in special box to be loaded last and unloaded first.
- Finish packing all boxes. Try to pack boxes to their maximum capacity.
- Defrost, clean and dry refrigerator.
The Day of the move…
- Be on hand all day to answer questions, accompany driver during inventory, sign bill of lading, and confirm your new address and delivery date. Be sure to advise him of your enroute accommodations and telephone number, if known.
- Make final check of every room and storage area. Make sure windows and doors are locked, keys are transferred and lights are out.
- RELAX! The G.E.T. Moving family is going to take care of everything from this point on.